The purpose of this request for expressions of interest is to provide the background, required qualifications as well as key deliverables and processes to select and contract a consultant to provide strategic leadership, chair the AF-TERG member meetings and manage relations and accountability with the Adaptation Fund Board and the Ethics and Finance Committee.
Scope of work
The Technical Evaluation Reference Group of the Adaptation Fund (AF-TERG) is an independent evaluation advisory group, accountable to the Board, established to ensure the independent implementation of the Fund’s evaluation framework. Specifically, the TERG will provide a) evaluation function, b) advisory function, and c) oversight function. The AF-TERG is comprised of an independent group of experts in evaluation who are all functionally independent of the Adaptation Fund Board, Board committees, and the secretariat. The members will serve in their personal capacities only and will not represent their employers, governments or Fund’s entities.
The Chair of the AF-TERG will provide strategic leadership to the AF-TERG, lead the preparation of and chair AF-TERG meetings, and manage relations with and report to the Board and its Ethics and Finance Committee. Details of the scope of work are provided in the attached Terms of Reference.
The successful candidate will be offered a short-term consultancy position covering multiple fiscal years – following the World Bank rules – and is for a maximum of 30 days per fiscal year at an agreed daily rate commensurate with the candidate’s background and experience. Start of the position is envisaged for October 1, 2020.
The Chair and Members of the AF-TERG normally serve for a period of three years and are eligible to serve not more than two consecutive terms or six years.
The specific qualifications and experience required are:
- At least 15 years of professional experience in evaluation work at progressively increasing levels, related to monitoring / evaluation / research and management;
- Evaluation experience: extensive knowledge of, and experience in applying, qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods; a strong record in designing and leading overall evaluations; technical competence in the area of evaluation (theory and practice), and a strong methodological background;
- At least 8 years of professional experience in development at field level and international level;
- Strong knowledge in project management with strong emphasis on monitoring and evaluation;
- Extended experience in designing, implementing and evaluating adaptation projects and programs in developing countries, covering key adaptation thematic areas;
- Climate finance experience, especially extensive knowledge of, and experience in applying climate change adaptation concepts;
- Extended knowledge of the Adaptation Fund and of UNFCCC, Paris Agreement, Kyoto Protocol and climate change and other environmental international regimes and policies;
- Experience in least developed countries, working with those most vulnerable to climate change impacts;
- Extended knowledge on operational aspects of institutions (policies, governance, and accounting);
- Strong communication and outreach skills;
- Strong gender skills and experience;
- Language capacity in English.
Desirable qualifications are:
- Fluency in at least one of the other six official languages of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) would be an asset;
- In addition to the expertise and skills mentioned above, the following will be expected when selecting the AF-TERG Chair:
- Demonstration of high levels of autonomy and integrity;
- He/she is widely recognized across the evaluation community as a source of knowledge;
- Ability to communicate on complex and highly specialised issues at senior management and executive meetings;
- A track record in strategic and global thinking;
- Excellent relationship and communication management skills;
- Experience in setting up and executing a budget;
- Sensitivity to gender, political, and respect for cultural, aspects.
Interested consultants are hereby invited to send their expression of interest – expressing how their background fits the required qualifications – together with an up-to-date curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with “AF-TERG Chair EoI” in the subject line.
The application deadline is close of business on August 15, 2020 (Washington DC time). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a follow-up online or telephone interview. For any clarification concerning this communication, please contact the above email address. The AF-TERG Secretariat is happy to provide clarification on the terms of reference if needed.
The full request for expressions of interest with attached the terms of reference for the short-term consultant positions can be found below.
|REoI AF-TERG Chair FY21||231 KB|