Unfortunately the event has had to be canceled due to reasons beyond the Adaptation Fund’s control.
AF Side Event at Latin America and Caribbean Climate Week (LACCW 2023)
Enhancing climate-resilient development in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons learned from the Adaptation Fund portfolio
26 October 2023, 17:00 – 18:15, Room Veraguas
Watch the event on live webcast (Link tbc)
The Adaptation Fund was established in 2001 to finance concrete adaptation projects in developing countries with a focus on the most vulnerable communities. The Fund has been serving the Paris Agreement since 2019 and is a key channel for delivering dedicated support for adaptation.
The Fund’s portfolio in the region contains several projects that are tackling complex and interconnected challenges in the land, ocean, food security and water sectors. Many of these projects are in advanced stages of implementation and lend important lessons learned for implementing effective adaptation actions and enabling scaling-up pathways.
Most projects in the region have also been implemented through the Fund’s direct access modality, as well as the enhanced direct access modality that devolves decision-making to local levels.
This event will present key lessons learned from the Adaptation Fund project portfolio implemented in Latin America and the Caribbean, innovative and successful adaptation initiatives in the region that can be shared, enhanced and scaled up to foster transformational adaptation.
This event will also present the recent updates under the Fund’s new Medium-Term Strategy (2023-2027) and will showcase its new funding windows and operating modalities.
Moderator: Ms. Imèn Meliane, AFB Secretariat
17:00 OPENING REMARKS ON BEHALF OF THE AF BOARD
- Mr. Lucas Di Pietro Paolo (Argentina), Vice-Chair of the Adaptation Fund Board
17:05 ADAPTATION FUND SUPPORT IN THE LAC REGION
- Ms. Bianka Kretschmer, AFB Secretariat
17:15 PANEL DISCUSSION ON LESSONS LEARNED BY NIEs & RIEs
- Mr. Óscar Guevara, Principal Executive, CAF – Development Bank in Latin America and the Caribbean (Regional Implementing Entity)
- Dr. Colin Young, Executive Director, Caribbean Community Climate Change Center (Regional Implementing Entity)
- Ms. Arcadia Francisco, Project Coordinator, Dominican Institute of Integral Development (Dominican Republic’s National Implementing Entity)
- Ms. Vilna Cuéllar, Project Manager, Fundación Natura (Panama’s National Implementing Entity)
17:55 Q&A SESSION WITH AUDIENCE
18:15 CLOSING by AFB Vice-Chair