The Adaptation Fund Board has made available several small grants under the Readiness Programme to help National Implementing Entities (NIEs) provide peer support to countries seeking accreditation with the Fund and to build capacity for undertaking various climate finance readiness activities.
South-South Cooperation (SSC) Grants
These are small grants to facilitate South-South cooperation and enable select accredited implementing entities to provide peer support for accreditation to countries that wish to gain accreditation with the Fund.
Project Formulation Assistance (PFA) Grants
Project Formulation Assistance (PFA) grants are additional small grants on top of Project Formulation Grants (PFGs) and available for NIEs that need funding to undertake a specific technical assessment (i.e. environmental impact assessment, vulnerability assessment etc.) during the project preparation and design stage. The amount available for each NIE for project formulation assistance is a maximum of US$20,000 per project.
Technical Assistance (TA) Grants
These are small grants to help NIEs build their capacity to address and manage environmental and social as well as gender associated risks within their projects/programmes in accordance with the Fund’s Environmental and Social Policy (ESP) and Gender Policy. Through this grant, NIEs have the option to hire consultant(s) to help them address these issues.
There are two types of Technical Assistance grants:
- TA Grants for ESP and Gender Policy: These are small grants to enable NIEs to put in place safeguards to address social and environmental risks as wells as gender related issues posed by adaptation projects and programmes by tapping into external expertise through short-term consultancies.
- TA Grant for Gender Policy: These are small grants to enable NIEs that have previously received a TA Grant for ESP before the Fund’s Gender Policy was in place to update their environmental and social safeguards by integrating gender within their social and environmental policies and procedures in accordance with the Fund’s Gender Policy approved in 2016. NIEs can use the grant to tap into external expertise through short-term consultancies.
Project Scale-up Grants
Project Scale-up Grants provide readiness funding to National Implementing Entities (NIEs) to support planning, assessment, capacity enhancement (individual, organization and institutional) for designing and developing scaling- up pathways for Adaptation Fund project and programmes under implementation and nearing completion or completed. Project Scale-up Grants are available up to a maximum of US$ 100,000 per project and programme.
Reporting Requirements for Readiness Grants
As per decisions B.29/42 and B.33-34/12 by the Adaptation Fund Board, implementing entities that receive a readiness grant must provide to the Board through the secretariat the following reports:
- A notification of project start. This must be submitted within one month of the project start date.
- A project monitoring report. This must be submitted six months after the project start date, and every six months thereafter from the date of the last project monitoring report. The report should contain concise but very precise information including an explanation of any issues that would have arisen during implementation.
- A notification of project completion. This must be submitted within two months of the project completion date.
- A project completion report. This must be submitted within six months of completion of the project and should include specific project implementation information of overall outcome, including any challenges faced and how they were resolved, and an explanation of how achieved outcomes will be disseminated or taken forward.
The reporting templates can be downloaded by clicking on the relevant template link at the bottom of this web page. Implementing Entities should take note that copies of the above-mentioned reports should also be forwarded by the Implementing Entity to the Designated Authority for information.
Readiness Grants Approved to Date
|Country||Title||Implementing Entity||Approved Amount in USD||Approval Date|