The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), a group of approximately 600 islands, is located near the Equator about 4,000 km southwest of the Hawaiian Islands in the Western Pacific Ocean. Areas of small island countries, such as the FSM, exceed well over 5000 mm of precipitation annually which makes them some of the wettest places on Earth. Nevertheless, their geologic and geographic settings, technology, government capacity, village-scale governance and knowledge base can still make accessing safe drinking water difficult.
The overall goal of the project is to build social, ecological and economic resilience of the target island communities of the Federated States of Micronesia and reduce their vulnerabilities to extreme drought, sea level rise and other climate risks through water resource management, coastal resource and development planning, and by promoting gender perspectives and ecologically sound climate resilient livelihoods.
The project aims at reducing the vulnerability of the selected communities to risks of water shortage and increase adaptive capacity of communities living in Woleai, Eauripik, Satawan, Lukunor, Kapingamarangi, Nukuoro, Utwe, Malem to drought and flood-related climate and disaster risks.
The objectives of the project are:
- Prepare the necessary institutional and regulatory frameworks, policies, guidance and tools to help deliver a climate resilient FSM.
- Strengthen water and livelihood security measures to help 6 outer atoll islands adapt to impacts of climate change related to water, health and sanitation.
- Provide communities with climate resilient infrastructure to help relocate from high risk coastal inundation sites.
- Capture and share the local knowledge produced on climate change adaptation and accelerate the understanding about the kinds of interventions that work in island environments in FSM.
- In the News
- ReliefWeb (March 12, 2018): Federated States of Micronesia launch their first Adaptation Fund Project
- ReliefWeb (March 28, 2017): Adaptation Fund approves USD 9 million project for Federated States of Micronesia
|Project Component 1: Strengthening policy and institutional capacity for integrated coastal and water management at national and state levels||US$ 767,642|
|Project Component 2: Demonstration of water security measures in outer islands of Yap, Chuuk and Pohnpei||US$ 2,479,226|
|Project Component 3: Demonstration of Kosrae Inland Road Relocation Initiative||US$ 3,520,474|
|Project Component 4: Knowledge management for improved water and coastal protection||US$ 739,571|
|Project Execution Cost||US$ 788,018|
|Total Project Cost||US$ 8,294,931|
|Implementing Entity Project Cycle Management Fee||US$ 705,069|
|Grant Amount||US$ 9,000,000|
|PPR1 (for web)||XLSX|
|PPR2 (for web)||XLSX|
|Other project order||86 KB|
|Project document||5 MB|
|PPR3 (for web)||XLSX|
|Other project order|
|PPR4 (for web)||XLSX|