Have your Say! Shaping a new funding modality for locally led adaptation (LLA)
Adaptation Fund Events on LLA at COP28
The Adaptation Fund has embedded locally based and locally led adaptation as a new crosscutting
theme in its medium-term strategy 2023-2027 as it seeks to further help supply finance to the local
actors across its funding windows.
The Adaptation Fund is considering opening an additional funding window dedicated to locally-led adaptation (LLA), taking into account the Fund’s experiences on local actions including the Direct Access, Enhanced Direct Access modalities, and other innovative modalities of the Fund.
The Adaptation Fund will organize a series of events aiming to engage various adaptation stakeholders on best ways to scaling LLA in the Adaptation Fund, and in particular on the modalities to making funding adaptation more easily accessible to local organisations and ensuring that local actors are empowered to lead adaptation planning and implementation.
The discussion will cover key funding aspects, including specific needs and challenges of local actors to access financing, options for local organisations that are not accredited with the Fund to access finance, size of grants, readiness support, suitable LLA indicators and capacity for monitoring and evaluation.
Focused Group discussions
- December 6th – 11:00am – 12:30pm at the Joint Climate Funds Pavilion (B7, building 88, second floor)
- December 9th – 11:00am -12:30pm at the Joint Climate Funds Pavilion (B7, building 88, second floor)
- December 11th, 1:15pm-2:15pm, IUCN Pavilion (B7-87)- Simultaneous translation in French and Spanish will be available.
- HE Razan Al Mubarak, HLC COP28 and President IUCN
- Mikko Ollikainen, Head of the Adaptation Fund Board Secretariat
- Melanie Robinson, Global Climate Director WRI
- Representative – Government of Quebec: Contribution of local governments in further enabling LLA
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, President, IWPA of Chad & Cochair IIPFCC: challenges and specific considerations for funding IPLC
- Representative from YOUNGO: The role of Youth in LLA – the YOUNGO perspective
- Representative of Adaptation Research Alliance (ARA): consideration for indicators and M&E
Q&A + Mentimeter
The outcomes of the focused groups discussions and the side event discussion will be complemented by an online survey on key parameters of the LLA funding modalities for which the QR code will be distributed at the Adaptation Fund Pavilion and the LLA consultation events.
The results of the survey, together with the outcomes of the event more broadly, will feed into the design of the LLA funding modalities that will be presented at the 42nd meeting of the Adaptation Fund Board in March 2024, noting that the Board document on the LLA Funding modalities would need to be finalized by end of January 2024.
Take LLA survey here in any UN language. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MFFZT9L
|LLA event flyer_ENG
|LLA event flyer_SPANISH
|LLA event flyer_FR